Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Art in the Park

Saturday, Rich, Nathan and I went the Boise Art in the Park Festival.
I looked at every art vendor.
Rich and Nathan were tempted by the yummy food. We said hi to a California Bull Snake but none of us would touch it. Watching the dogs is about as much fun as seeing the art. This year I saw a beautiful Doberman.

Nathan came away with a new marble, "a shooter."

The Boise Art Museum was open as well so we took a tour. I'll list the highlights.

First, I saw a painting depicting the Idaho internment camp for the Japenese. It caused me to reflect on what the camps were like for my Uncle Ted.

Second, the main exhibit, strands of hot glue hung from the ceiling in the center of the room. They were beautiful swirly strands. The main exhibit room is two stories high and allows natural light to illuminate the work from its many windows. This work reminded me of snow and ice. I also thought of the evil "Snow Queen" who kept that boy prisoner until he could repair her mirror. The paper describing the work mentioned something about womenhood, nerves, and muscle fibers?

Thirdly, the Flyfishing exhibit, it took up two rooms. The walls were covered with large photographs depicting aspects and nature as pertaining to flyfishing. An audio recording also depicted the sounds of nature with occasional commentary by the artist. Rich enjoyed this one!

Fourth, Cockroaches! The first thing to grab your attention is a Giant Fake cockroach hung by the neck. The walls are covered with giant photos of cockroaches and audio. It doesn't end there. Some of the art is made from cockroach body parts, an entire series is on cockroaches behaving like people, such as watching tv and other things. There's also video presentation of cockroaches. If you have a fear of bugs this is not the show for you. I saw a couple adults enter one of the rooms and quickly flee! They didn't even get to see the hanging.

Sorry, no cameras allowed.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm pretty sure that the Flyfishing exhibit would've been Rob's favorite...and probably all of the yummy food!

Cindy said...

Rich was sure Rob would appreciate it.